There’s something absolutely mesmerising about the Maldives. From crystal clear water and sandy beaches to delicious halal cuisine and friendly locals, it’s no surprise why it is one of the best tropical island destinations in the world. If you’re planning to spend your future honeymoon in the Maldives once the situation gets better, here are some useful tips to plan a memorable getaway with your spouse.
P.S. For the latest COVID-19 updates in the Maldives, refer to this website.
1. Keep an eye out for cheap flightsCredit: Visit Maldives
It may be tricky to book a flight to the Maldives during the everchanging pandemic, but now is a good opportunity to do your research and keep an eye out for cheap flights, so you can save up ahead of your honeymoon. Since the Maldives is so close to Southeast Asia, it’s easy to find flight rates that suit your vacation budget.
Before the pandemic, the average rate for a full-service return flight was less than USD500 on carriers such as Silkair and Singapore Airlines via Singapore’s Changi Airport. AirAsia also operated direct flights from Kuala Lumpur to Malé from just USD300 during the off-peak season. We recommend using these estimated rates to plan ahead! In light of the pandemic, most airlines also offer flexible fare or flexi flights that lets you change the date and time of your flight, so make sure to look out for this added benefit when booking your flight!
#HHWT Tip: To get alerts for the best flight rates, use Google Flights!
2. Choose a romantic accommodation that caters to your travel needsCredit: Have Halal, Will Travel
It’s natural to daydream about a romantic getaway in the Maldives as this destination is famous for its beach villas, overwater villas and underwater accommodations that are perfect for honeymooners! The Maldives also has a one-island-one-resort concept where each island has only one resort so honeymooners are guaranteed complete privacy and seclusion. Here’s a quick guide on choosing the right accommodation for your honeymoon!Credit: Pullman Maldives Maamutaa
- Overwater villas: Ideal for luxury honeymooners, most overwater villas have a private pool, sundeck and endless watersports activities. Rates around USD600-USD900 per night.
- Beach villas: Perfect for beach lovers, most beach villas have a private deck, modern amenities and direct access to the beach. Rates around USD450-USD600 per night.
- Treehouse accommodation: For a unique getaway, these treehouses are perched on stilts among the treetops and boast the best seaview from the balcony. Rates around USD600-USD800 per night.
- Hotels: Check into a mid-range or luxury hotel equipped with modern amenities. Rates around USD350-USD487 per night.
- Liveaboards: Suitable for scuba divers, a liveaboard allows travellers to spend the night aboard a boat for direct access to the crystal clear water. Rates around USD185-USD240 per night.
- Guesthouse: A great way to immerse in the local culture, spot amazing guesthouses on local islands that offer modern amenities and watersports packages. Rates around USD 100-USD300 per night.
#HHWT Tip: Since the Maldives is an Islamic country, you can find mosques and prayer facilities on local islands and resorts too!
3. For affordable speedboat transfer, stay on a local island near Malé
Known as the capital of the Maldives, Malé is just a 15-minute drive from the Velana International Airport located in the greater Malé area. If you’re planning to save on speedboat transfers, which would cost between USD25-USD80 per person, look for a hotel or resort near Malé as the speedboat transfers tend to be cheaper because it’s closer to the airport.
4. Experience the island’s beauty through amazing couple’s activitiesCredit: Visit Maldives
The Maldives is surrounded by crystal clear lagoons, sandy beaches and relaxing sea breeze, and the best way to experience it all is through watersports! Most resorts, villas and guest houses offer snorkelling, scuba diving and jet skiing activities, which you can book in advance before your trip.Credit: Have Halal, Will Travel
There are more couple’s activities that’ll encourage you and your spouse to explore the outdoors including canoeing, paddle boarding, wakeboarding, kite surfing as well as diving, a must-do activity if you want to see the vibrant coral reefs! For days when you want to relax and soak up the island vibes, sign up for an island-hopping adventure that’ll take you to several islands to unwind and immerse in the local culture. You can also take your honeymoon to the next level by joining a romantic sunset cruise or even enjoy a couple’s game of sunset fishing.
5. Surprise your spouse with a romantic halal meal for twoCredit: Visit Maldives
The Maldives is an Islamic country so all restaurants have Muslim-friendly menus. Alcohol and pork are also prohibited within local islands, so you’ll be able to find a variety of halal meals throughout your trip without any worry!Credit: Conrad Maldives
Since the Maldives is a popular honeymoon destination, most resorts offer unique dining experiences that are perfect for two. Surprise your spouse with a floating halal breakfast while lounging in your private pool or a gourmet picnic on the beach decorated with lanterns and sandy seats! You can also elevate your romantic surprise by booking a table in an underwater restaurant where you can enjoy a meal with a panoramic sea view. When the sun sets, opt to dine on a sandbank under the stars, experience a Michelin-starred private dinner or enjoy a romantic dinner on a nearby island complete with your own private chef!
Disclaimer: Eateries in some private resorts may serve pork and/or alcohol, but they will be clearly indicated and prepared or served separately from halal dishes. If in doubt, we advise you to contact the resort or accommodation directly beforehand to clarify.
6. Book a honeymoon package to get the best couple’s perksCredit: Have Halal, Will Travel
To make the most of your island getaway, there’s no better tip than booking a honeymoon package for the best deals. Besides having accommodations, meals and activities taken care of, it also comes with plenty of perks that are tailored for honeymooners! Browse for honeymoon packages and you may find awesome add-ons such as an in-villa breakfast, couple’s spa discount, special honeymoon bed floral decorations, celebration cake, or even romantic candle-lit dinners!
7. Travel off-peak to avoid the crowdCredit: Visit Maldives
In light of the pandemic, you might be looking for a romantic honeymoon that’s away from the crowd. While most accommodations are located on secluded islands giving you the perfect social distancing holiday, another tip is to travel during the off-peak season!
The off-peak season for the Maldives is from April to September, which is great if you want to keep an eye out for affordable tickets during this period too. During this time, accommodation rates are also lower than average, so imagine staying in a gorgeous overwater villa for a fraction of the usual price!
#HHWT Tip: Do note that while this is the monsoon season, you might not even see rain during a 5-7 day trip as it'll really depend from island to island. Even if it does rain, you'll still have plenty of fun enjoying in-house activities at your accommodations or exploring the halal eateries to meet local Maldivians.
If you’re planning your future honeymoon to the Maldives, we hope these tips will help you make the most of your romantic getaway in this tropical paradise!
This article is brought to you by Visit Maldives.